This past year has brought huge change for most people, and it has certainly impacted the job market. Despite the obvious challenges, change can also offer promise and opportunity.
Perhaps you have been forced into a change by redundancy and economic climate, perhaps you are returning to work after a pause and the market isn’t what it was when you left, or perhaps you just feel that niggle that it could be time for a shift. Whatever the reason, changing careers or returning to work in a different area can be daunting but it also offers hope and excitement.
Here are things to think about ahead of a career shift:
- Think outside the box – perhaps you have always dreamed of a career but dismissed it as unrealistic. Question that. Why have you not followed your dreams. It is never too late. What steps do you need to take to make your dream a reality?
- Network – but efficiently. Who do you know who might have an insight into the world you wish to work in? Do not be afraid to ask for help! What is stopping you?
- Immerse yourself in the world of the work you are interested in. Take time to read the blogs, listen to the podcasts, watch the Ted Talks. You will start to see your place in that world.
- Reframe your thinking – think about what you can offer, not what you lack in experience. What can you bring to this? Why would you be good?
- Have clear intentions – be clear about your goals, likes, dislikes and values. Really think about what you enjoy, and do not enjoy, about your current working life. Write a list! Journaling is such a valuable tool in self discovery.
- Take action. What one thing could you do today, however small it might seem, that could take you a little bit closer to your dream job?
As always, if you would like to have a chat with one of our consultants we would be delighted to hear from you. Change can be daunting, but it is also exciting! We are here to help where we can.
0203 866 8931